1. Technology

God of War - Killing the Hydra with Slow Fingers

By October 26, 2007

You know, all of the stereotypes need to go away. A lot of people are under the impression that video games are played solely by young male adults. This just isn't the case, in fact, if I'm not mistaken more video games are played by females than are played by males (you need to account for all of the casual games as well). Bottom line, gamers come in all shapes, sizes, genders, and ages — so I try to put up hints and tips that cater to all of these groups.

Here is a perfect example of this. The following tip was sent in by Michael L., a 63 year old gamer who sheds some light on destroying the Hydra in God of War on the PS2. This tip is great for God of War, but can also come in handy on several other titles. Here is what Michael has to say, which I have added to the other God of War hints:

"I've seen a lot of complaints from gamers unable to kill the Hydra by pulling it down over the broken mast because they were unable to press the O button fast enough. I'm 63 and don't have the normal reflexes or finger speed of the younger gamers. Here's how I did it.

When the O comes up at any time, I hold the controller down on my right leg with my left hand only, and make my right hand into a fist with the thumb sticking out. This way my right hand is free to rapidly staccato beat the O button with my thumb. Instead of trying to rapidly move your thumb you're actually using your wrist." - Michael L.

Have a tip of your own? Post a comment below or contact me and I'll share it with the rest of the community.

Related Links

Comments
October 29, 2007 at 5:22 pm
(1) chris b says:

I did the same thing but with my index finger and whole arm rather than wrist action.and I’m only 32. that game is brutal at times.

November 4, 2007 at 10:41 pm
(2) ballju says:

This shall help me in my quest to beat RE4 (resident evil 4) several times without being getting frustrated.

November 18, 2010 at 9:04 pm
(3) Teh teh and abe says:

We jus did the same thing and we are young. That was a very good idea!

January 6, 2011 at 9:59 pm
(4) DJ Doomageddon says:

I’m only 19, but my psych medications slow my reflexes down drastically, I’ve tried endlessly to beat that hydra, and I was about ready to break down and go buy a turbo controller, thank you for this. It really helped. The stereotypes need to end.

January 30, 2011 at 1:58 am
(5) DES1989 says:

i did exactly the same thing. I am only 40 but plagued with carple tunnel and unable to use my thumb to beat the hydra. I used my fist and thumb as a stick an wala. The hydra finally was bested. great tip my friend.

February 1, 2011 at 11:10 am
(6) Jdog 7722 says:

man im only 12 and my reflexes arent fast enought to beat the hydra thanks 4 the tip

February 1, 2011 at 11:18 am
(7) jdog7722 says:

still cant get that thing to die tryed the tip but i could not get it

July 1, 2011 at 3:25 pm
(8) Rudi says:

I can’t get it either! Even with the tip.