1. Technology

How to view ALL friend updates on the new Facebook

By October 26, 2009

Facebook recently made some changes to the way they display news updates from your friends. No longer are displays from all of your friends included, in fact, they have it setup as a default to only display updates from 250 friends, even though the friend limit is still 5,000. I would assume this was done to decrease load on their servers. Unfortunately, it also impacts a Facebook user's ability to stay virtually connected to each other, since you can't readily see all updates without manual intervention. Well, there is a pretty simple change you can make to display the news updates from all of your Facebook friends... here's how you do it.

As an FYI, this came to my attention because a couple gamers emailed me asking why they weren't seeing all of their friends' updates for different Facebook games, like Farmville, Mafia Wars, Mob Wars, Pet Society and other similar gamers.

Update: from comment #10, John...

"If your in Live Feed, and your not getting the Edit Options or the option to change the amount of friends is not there, just hide several different people or apps and try again. It should show up for you now. That's what i had to do".

Step one: From your Facebook home page near the top of your news feed you'll see a link that says View Live Feed, click it.

Step one: click the View Live Feed link

Step two: Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the link that says Edit Options.

Step two: scroll to the bottom and click on Edit Options

Step three: An option popup will appear, now change the default setting from 250 to 5000, as pictured below, and click Save.

Step three: change the nimber of friends to be shown to 5000 and click save

It should look like this before you click save.

Make sure it says 5000 and click Save

That's it, you're done.

If that doesn't work for you then you'll need to log out of Facebook, clear your browser's cookies and cache, and then login and perform the above steps. That should fix it and you will now see updates from all of your friends on Facebook. Anything I missed? Post it in the comments. Find this helpful? Share the link with your Facebook friends.

Related posts:

Mafia Wars Cheats for Facebook

Mafia Wars iPhone Glitch for Experience and Money

Mafia Wars Looted Items Locations Guide

Find me on Twitter (@AboutGameCheats) and link up on Facebook (Jason Rybka).

Comments
October 26, 2009 at 10:38 am
(1) Rob says:

The ‘Edit Options’ isn’t visible in the place you mentioned looking. I’ve been trying all sorts of ways to make it appear or find it somewhere else. There’s just ‘Older Posts’ on the left of the blue rectangle.

October 26, 2009 at 2:59 pm
(2) Robert Smith says:

I also do not have the edit option link next to the “Older posts”. Is this because I use Internet Explorer as my web browser?

October 26, 2009 at 4:56 pm
(3) Amanda says:

I’m using Mozilla Firefox, and I also don’t have an “edit options” link at the bottom.

October 26, 2009 at 6:05 pm
(4) vgstrategies says:

Hmmm…. I just double checked on my account as well as someone else’s (using Firefox) and we both have the edit options button there. Mind you, you won’t see it until you’ve selected the ‘View Live Feed’ option up top first… then scroll down and you should see it. If anyone else initially could not find it, and then did, please post how since I cannot duplicate the problem you guys are having.

October 26, 2009 at 6:10 pm
(5) Sylvia says:

I don’t have edit options either, tried all ways argh!!

October 27, 2009 at 1:24 am
(6) Mandy says:

I tried what you said, even logged out and back in…there is no Edit/Options button at the bottom.

October 27, 2009 at 10:00 am
(7) Scott says:

Edit options will not show unless you first hide something, pick anything maybe a spammer, hide them , Then look at the bottom, right side of pale blue bar

October 27, 2009 at 10:23 am
(8) j c says:

Scott: All that does is give you the option to show the person you just hid. No other choices.

October 27, 2009 at 5:03 pm
(9) sylvia says:

I had to hide lots of applications, such as Farmville, Friend of the day, etc at least 5 applications, then suddenly the edit options DID have the screen where you can change 250 to 5000.

October 28, 2009 at 12:19 pm
(10) John says:

If your in Live Feed, and your not getting the Edit Options or the option to change the amount of friends is not there, just hide several different people or apps and try again. It should show up for you now. That’s what i had to do.

October 28, 2009 at 3:20 pm
(11) Antrel Sting says:

I Can’t see the edit options button i have tried many times
I have a macbook and i don’t know if that has to do with anything or not

October 29, 2009 at 12:48 pm
(12) Lynn Perron says:

Same problem, cannot see the Edit Options. How do you hide “applications” or “spammer” or others??? I tried to limit the access to “only me” on many of my applications, that still didn’t work. Hope someone finds out really soon. Thanks.

October 29, 2009 at 2:16 pm
(13) vgstrategies says:

Has everyone tried John’s suggestion? (comment #10 just above)

October 30, 2009 at 11:06 pm
(14) Terry Rempfer says:

At the top of the page you have two choices view news feed or view live feed you have to be in live feed.

November 11, 2009 at 11:19 am
(15) Mel says:

I deleted one app and edit options finally popped up. Thanks so much!!

November 13, 2009 at 9:54 pm
(16) monkey says:

you have to be in news feed not status updates to get the edit option at the bottom.

November 20, 2009 at 7:13 pm
(17) Judie says:

I have to check again in my facebook after several of weeks I didn’t go there. This message give great idea for me, so I care again bout my friends and make new friends. Keep make innovation man, tx btw

January 18, 2010 at 7:36 pm
(18) Stuart says:

Thanks for that! I was trying to work out for months where my friend brianna had gone. I must have accidentally hidden her as there was an ‘x’ next to her name on the live feed options. Fixed now :)

March 12, 2010 at 9:40 am
(19) Tina Ralph says:

I only have 60 friends and when I try to look at my wall it won’t let me view older posts any more. It was ok, now it won’t. I use vista, any ideas please would be gratefully accepted.

March 12, 2010 at 9:43 am
(20) Tina Ralph says:

further to my earlier comment, my facebook is fine on windows 7 at work, I can see older posts easily but not on my vista at home

August 28, 2010 at 4:17 pm
(21) z! says:

in news feed just click on most recent instead of top news and if nothing blocked, everything should pop up!

December 15, 2010 at 8:44 pm
(22) betty says:

my facebook runs perfect on laptop or whatever.. it just wont with my playstation need answers..

February 15, 2011 at 7:30 pm
(23) Betty says:

Thanks so much! This worked perfectly!

September 22, 2011 at 5:16 pm
(24) Elisa Negroni says:

I don’t have a Live Feed link beside the News Feed link!

November 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm
(25) Beverly says:

It is all about the subscribe button now. I went to my friend’s page, clicked on the subscribe button and changed it to “all updates” instead of “only important.” I’m hoping that works.

April 23, 2012 at 10:17 pm
(26) Peggy says:

There is no view news feed anywhere and no edit button either.