1. Technology

Sid Meier's Civilization V Cheats - PC (Civilization 5 Cheat Codes)

By October 15, 2010

Learn how to enable the console in Sid Meier's Civilization 5 and reveal the entire map. Cheating in Civilization 5 requires that you edit a game file. As always be sure to make a backup of any file that are to be edited. Only one file needs to be edited for this game and there is only one change required. See the link below for all of the details. All Steam achievements are also listed.

Official Game Description:

Sid Meier's Civilization® V is the fifth offering in the multi-award winning Civilization strategy game series featuring the famous "just one more turn" addictive gameplay that has made it one of the greatest game series of all time.

Become Ruler of the World by establishing and leading a civilization from the dawn of man into the space age: Wage war, conduct diplomacy, discover new technologies, go head-to-head with some of history's greatest leaders and build the most powerful empire the world has ever known.

Comments
December 31, 2010 at 5:56 pm
(1) Kevin says:

Don’t bother. Civ IV was a much better game and didn’t require that you install the trojan named Steam. The computer cheating in this game is so blatant as to make you choke. You pound on an enemy unit until it is nearly dead and next turn, voila!, it somehow earned just enough XP to self-promote and is back at full health. The diplomacy in this game is worse than in previous versions of Civ. It’s just as one-sided as ever and your options are even weaker.

Really – a horrible waste of money. Just buy a used copy of Civ IV (or even Civ II, which may have been the best of the series) and don’t give these guys more money to keep cranking out inferior copies of a classic.

June 27, 2011 at 5:13 am
(2) Scott says:

totally agree,and must say having bought V on its release that i feel kinda ripped off!civ4 with its unit stacking and world builders tons more fun,and the scenarios r to.the knobs who`ve done away with worldbuilder,unit stacking,religion and espionage should never get a another crack at a civ.

July 12, 2011 at 6:41 am
(3) JM says:

Unfortunately I got this glitched pos. In all of the civ maps I play Civ V crashes around turn 200 so I am forced to set the game to advanced and super fast in order to to finish the game.

Everything Kevin said about the diplomacy is true and there is NO trading of food even amongst your own cities, forget trading food with other empires, and what’s more, you can have a city with 200% food right next to a city that is starving, even in the modern age. How is this possible? It’s like each city is completely cut-off from the rest of the empire.

We could write a 100 chapter book entitled, Why Civ V sucks and each chapter could be could be authored by a different long-time civilization Fan.

How about this? Completely restart the Civilization Series with three teams. One dedicated to making a Modern Civ VI game, one dedicated to making Mods, and one dedicated to creating and selling games based on the Civilization Software.

This series has HUGE sales/profit potential. For example, Alpha Centauri, or how about Civ Zombie, or Civ Alien, Men in Black Civ…what they did with Civ V makes me sick because it has such potential…

August 4, 2011 at 8:20 pm
(4) Chuck says:

Just bought the game three days ago and quickly regretted it! Let me list off the problems I found in just three days…

1. Requires Steam
2. irritaitingly long loading time, I was about to restart when it FINALLY kicked in!
3. disappointingly short tech tree
4. YOU CAN’T STACK MILITARY UNITS, WTF!!!!
5. Capturing enemy cities is quite a chore, you need at least fve units and two/three turns to do it, did I mention no stacking military units?
6. Diplomacy is confusing and stupid, the only plus is the AI graphics, but this denounciation feature is irritating, but then I’m a very aggressive demagogue… so….
7. The whole strategic part of warfare is absurdly difficult to micromanage because of the “no stacking” thing (I can understand some type of limit, but come ON!).

As a player who likes to “boom, build and blitzkreig!”, I find my old methods and strategies unworkable and find myself forced to surround and besiege mere city-states for several turns, fighting other empires is somewhat absurd as well, as the game wildly favors defense and makes conquest of significant territory very difficult and time-consuming.

I’m embarrased to admit I had had great anticipation and hopes for this game, an even bigger dissappointment than Naruto, Ninja Storm 2 (THAT’S how bad this game is!)

October 4, 2011 at 3:21 pm
(5) brett says:

you can stack units but you need to download the “Legions” mod.

August 20, 2011 at 7:24 am
(6) The righteous critic says:

Whoa! Why don’t we go back to playing age of the empires 1-rise of rome! I mean come on, civ 4 was so EASY on the hardest level that I couldn’t play it for more than 7 hours… And ever heard of the term”better AI or better graphics”?????

September 13, 2011 at 7:46 pm
(7) fuckyou says:

STEAM IS NOT A TROJAN YOU @#$

January 1, 2011 at 12:30 pm
(8) Brian says:

This is a great buy!! I have played all the series leading up to this one and it is great! It does not have the normal espionage and religion features but it has an entire new battle system. They have wored out the bugs and I believe there is still room for expansion on this Civ 5. Def worth a buy and worth an honest game-play. Give it a try, it’s awesome! :)

July 1, 2011 at 5:36 pm
(9) Dylan says:

Brian you are either brain dead or working for either Steam or Sid Meier’s. There are only two things that Civ 5 has got going for it over Civ 4: The menu’s in-game are easier to navigate which is extremely helpful when you have 10+ cities, and the easy to use modding engine. The mods allow you to fix just about everything the creators f***ed up.

July 5, 2011 at 3:10 pm
(10) nate says:

dood i no rite

July 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm
(11) nate says:

dood i no rite and everybody whodosent agree is a bleepedy bleep bleep

August 6, 2011 at 5:28 pm
(12) nathan says:

WTF dude just wtf

August 20, 2011 at 7:29 am
(13) The righteous critic says:

Finally a guy with anything more than a spoon for a brain gave a comment!!! :)

January 1, 2011 at 11:03 pm
(14) Robert says:

I agree with Kevin 100%. Civ V is a waste. Just because it is newer doesn’t mean it is better. They should stop making this game.

August 5, 2011 at 12:38 pm
(15) Chuck says:

They shouldn’t stop making Civilization, they just need to make it right! and maybe do something to make it more realistic and involving.

Here’s some ideas
you can pass a great variety of laws ranging from gun control to same sex marraige. they all have their effects and the people may or may not support your laws, creating happiness or unhappiness, doing this would make it a game that really involves you with your “people”.

The Tech Tree in Civ 5 was only around half of what Civ 4 was like, more techs means more units, improvements, buildings and wonders you can build, think of the hundreds of inventions and discoveries which have changed our lives only a fraction are actually represented in the various tech trees, they could really take this part of the game to a whole new level!

Combat should certainly be restored to say five units per tile and maybe eight for cities, that’s a fair limit. Aircraft like helicopters should be able to fly over water as long but need to stop at cities or forts, oh and speaking of forts, couldn’t they have more than just a mere defensive bonus, like a launch only airbase, missile silos for nukes and other stuff, most military bases are quite seperate from cities for security reasons and stand alone, forts could play a bigger role in the game too.

Introduce a historical timeline, have big events like the Black Deathand economic booms and depressions occur, World Wars will erupt if one player gets too aggressive or powerful and virtually every civilization will declare war and commit forces against them

August 6, 2011 at 5:32 pm
(16) nathan says:

dude u are a f***ing god man.

August 20, 2011 at 7:32 am
(17) The righteous critic says:

I kinda agree that it could be better but it IS better than civ 4

January 29, 2011 at 6:09 pm
(18) leo says:

Agree Kev and Rob. Brian must be on the team that wrote the new Civ. It’s “pretty” but a lot of great features have been removed, Steam is awful, and they have yet to work out the bugs even now months after its release. Continues to crash on all kinds of systems which do fulfill sys reqs. MAYBE the Sid Meier Civ people will fire the guys who wrote this last one, bring back religion, espionage, more options in diplomacy, etc., and fix all the bugs that crash Civ V now.

February 4, 2011 at 8:52 pm
(19) melonious says:

I thought I was going crazy! Every game since Civ II has gone downhill! Sure the graphics are better, but the gameplay has become all about the warfare and less about building a spaceship and blasting off to Alpha Centauri. And what’s with the religion thing? Seems superfluous. Unfortunately, I gave away my Civ II to a thankless twelve year old who has probably trashed it by now… sigh…

March 21, 2011 at 9:21 pm
(20) Merry Christmas says:

You can still play it…

Download a PSX emulator and the the Civ 2 game. That’s what I’m doing ;)

February 6, 2011 at 7:09 am
(21) alex says:

Also now Civ 5 lost ‘hot seat’, you can now only play multiplayers online or with another computer, wihch requires steam for both computers. That means you need 2 product codes to start 2 user names. Then that means you need to buy 2 games….

July 14, 2011 at 2:19 pm
(22) Ben says:

Thats just not true. I am about 3/4 the way threw a great hotseat game right now.

February 7, 2011 at 6:06 pm
(23) Kurt says:

This version of the game is horrible! I’ve put endless hours into playing every version of the game since its initial release and I wonder how Civ 5 was ever made it to the store shelves. The game crashes on a regular basis, and when the game is running the AI blatantly cheats! Enemy units mysteriously heal themselves after being pounded, diplomacy favors the AI, and AI can ceaselessly attack the minor states but if you do it whoaaaaa lookout, you’re instantly hated and are target #1 by everyone. I tried the political route and kissed everyone’s !*#, giving them gifts, trading and opened borders, and when it came time to vote in the UN who won? Alexandar, the guy who was at war with the entire globe and was only a middle rank player at that. Unbelievable. The only path you can hope to win the game by is technology, and hope to get off the crazy rock since the AI cheats in regards to a diplomatic or military victory. And what’s up with Steam? Steam is malware at its finest. Having that as a requirement to play the game is criminal! I didn’t pay full price in the store to have to live with pop ups and advertisements from Steam. Bottom line, don’t waste your money!

May 14, 2011 at 2:05 pm
(24) Ryan Thompson says:

i will have to disagree with you on that i am playing it on my laptop, and it has not crashed on me yet so i think, that you computer or laptop just can’t handle it where as my laptop just has the caperbilities to play it, it is fine it lags a little but i can get over it

August 20, 2011 at 7:35 am
(25) The righteous critic says:

Damn true ryan! Same here! But no lag!:P

July 1, 2011 at 5:46 pm
(26) Dylan says:

My computer is top of the line (I customized it to be the best possible for gaming), and when I’m playing Civ 5 it freezes/crashes at least a third of the time. Steam gave me 8 viruses and I’ve had this game for like 2 weeks…I got bored with the game within 6 hours because it was so unfair and I just started modding it to hell and gone to fix it. With about 10 mods enabled it becomes somewhat fair but the units that instantly heal still happens after being pounded. To give an example of how much the computer cheats: I was in the Modern Era and Mongolia was in the Renaissance Era, I was 4 times the size of Mongolia and had way more troops…yet somehow, 3 turns into the war he had an army twice the size of mine and was absolutely slaughtering my troops, his pikemen at half health would kill my tanks at full health…WTF?! The only way to possibly win, is to either win the science victory, or get really far ahead in science, build troops and nuke em till you can take em over.

July 12, 2011 at 6:46 am
(27) JM says:

And in case you didn’t read my earlier comment, Civ V won’t go past turn 200 without crashing on my brand new computer, even on the lowest settings with all sound turned off.

February 25, 2011 at 11:37 am
(28) Caleb says:

what the heck happened to religion or even world builder!!!!! world builder made it so much easier and i cant find a wayto convert religion, im with u guys Civ IV was better than Civ V!!! BIG TIME!!!

July 1, 2011 at 5:47 pm
(29) Dylan says:

There are mods for adding religion and corporations.

February 27, 2011 at 12:14 am
(30) Sinny says:

I like it and I hate it. Im torn. Many of the good features are gone but I do enjoy the new battle system. That is if it didnt cheat so bad. I like steam but I do agree that its pop ups and intrusiveness it quite annoying.

March 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm
(31) BOB says:

Damn… Im already back on civ IV …No worldbuilder?…anyone know how to get into it in Civ V?

July 1, 2011 at 5:48 pm
(32) Dylan says:

Expansion pack (SDK)

March 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm
(33) The only smart man says:

Alright, let me start off by saying MOST OF YOU ARE NOBS.
steam is GREAT. It’s what allows you to do everything related to games. Jesus. You probably never even tried it. Noobs. Now, regarding Civ 5, stop trolling it. It has never crashed once on my computer. If you all can’t afford something decent then don’t buy the game. you all don’t even have steam you noobs. Although Civ 4 was better. Coming from a lu/php coder the game is great and so is steam. Noob trolls.

May 11, 2011 at 4:56 pm
(34) KI4CLZ says:

I agree; you could have used Noob or Troll a couple of more times… (surprised he didn’t use all caps)

Steam Sucks…

Civ5 Sucks…

My dream Civ. would be Stromfront Crusader-meets-Age of Empires-meets-CivII/CivIII…

Wait till this one comes out in the “discount games” section to buy…

May 14, 2011 at 2:12 pm
(35) Ryan Thompson says:

i have to agree with you there even though there are a few pop ups, but steam is not malware i n=know what you are thinking

May 31, 2011 at 1:30 pm
(36) Adam says:

If your PC didn’t crash you were lucky!

I run a Core i7 at 3.8 Ghz with HT on (8 cores)
12GB of HyperX PC16000 memory
SATA III SSD hard drive
and 2 Vapor-X 5870s in Crossfire and I crash about once per 3 hours of play. It’s game glitches not computer related. I run most intense games like Crysis at over 70 fps, and no game other than Civ V has ever crashed on my rig!

I will say that Civ IV was much better though, there’s too much missing. I loved Civ II and III and the ability to go in and create through their editors. The lack of freedom that those offered makes this version suck!

June 2, 2011 at 10:46 pm
(37) Edwin says:

i wouldnt say he was lucky. my computers does not have the power yours does but it never crashes on me.

July 12, 2011 at 6:44 am
(38) JM says:

Mine’s brand new, runs SC2 at ULTRA graphics and barely function at lowest graphics with Civ V. I blame the coding, the Civ V coding must be the most basic cave-man coding to suck so badly.

June 21, 2011 at 11:12 am
(39) jojo says:

You tool, you couldnt be more wrong, Steam sucks, to force some one to get ads to play a game is a majour dip in credibility. It should be a choice not forced upon you. And my comp is top of the line and it is still constantly crashing, the game is poor compared to its predicesors. Dont assume your the only person who has a good comp so every one else must be wrong chump…

June 28, 2011 at 9:55 am
(40) Jay says:

I keep hearing about ads… What about never having to worry about where the DVDs or CDs for the games are, finding a place to put all of the boxes, scratching a disc, losing a code…

Steam is a great platform. If you don’t like the ‘ads’, (because none of you ever like to get great deals on new games) set steam to open to your game library when you open it. That way you are never troubled with ads.

July 1, 2011 at 5:50 pm
(41) Dylan says:

After reading the comment by “The only smart man”, I thought to myself, “Hmmm….Guess who works for Steam?” I wish I could get rid of Steam and still run the game….

August 30, 2011 at 2:30 am
(42) sarah marshall says:

what is a noob?

March 10, 2011 at 4:35 pm
(43) Benny says:

@The only smart man
I don’t believe you used the word “noob” enough. You make yourself look just as “noobish” as the others.

Now as for the game. Sure there are a few things that Civ4 has that Civ5 removed, but I think the overall experience of the game has improved for the better. As for Steam, I have yet to have any issues while/from running it.

The only thing I don’t like is them wanting you to pay for extra DLC’s .

August 20, 2011 at 7:41 am
(44) The righteous critic says:

Finally, A man with a brain cell!

March 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm
(45) Jesse says:

What the hell is this guy talking about? Steam is horrible first of all. To require a buyer to add on some BS marketing/networking software just to play a solo campaign is freakin’ ridiculous. I like how at the end “the only smart man” through in the coder comment like that instantly makes his dumb ass comment legitimate.

March 16, 2011 at 9:49 pm
(46) me says:

this game is good just like the others has not crashed one time and the battle system is great if your computer cant handle it then dont play it

July 1, 2011 at 5:53 pm
(47) John says:

That makes it a waste of money…

March 17, 2011 at 6:11 pm
(48) D.A. says:

civ 5 gets kinda boring just after a few minutes and it takes for ever just to get past the 1st ara, it bores the crap out of me and it’s very confusing. I also preffer civ 4, I got civ 5 and it is kinda boring (I said that already) but, I really hate how you can’t overlap units and they force you keep them seperated and when you start a new city it takes 200 something turns, for it to be done, god I don’t have all of my life to play this, it’s crap, so I hate.

March 21, 2011 at 10:28 pm
(49) the other smart guy says:

Personally i have had no problems with steam and ive found Civ 5 to be better gameplay wise… i was unhappy with the civ selection and the leaders chosen… the new civ looks way better than the last and the hex map adds a new unique strategy and movement to the game… i was also unhappy to see religion and espianoge removed other than that i have enjoyed my game and it was definitley worth the money… if you cant beat other leaders and feel the AI is “cheating” i suggest you move to a lower difficulty level… i have not encountered any “cheating” by AIs while playing this game.. the new hex map and no unit stacking rule has added to the stategy during gameplay and i find it more enjoyable because im not absolutley destroying other AIs and finishing a game before i get to the mideaval era.. i like the new civ and i do not find it boring.. definitley worth my money

March 28, 2011 at 1:46 am
(50) Big Matt says:

Civ 5 is a great game. All you people complaining about the world builder being gone, you’re only complaining because you can’t cheat. Learn to do something for once without cheating.

COD all the way!!!

August 5, 2011 at 5:11 pm
(51) Mathew says:

I agree the World Builder was an unbelievably cheap way to cheat, but it was also a way to customize the game from the inside, like giving everyone five cities to start plus some workers, warriors and a scout, I played the Europe map and created a whole WW2 style megawar (I won WITHOUT cheating!)

Having said that, Civ 5 is simply “different” than the previous titles, in Civ 4 I found the AI with unfathomablebly huge garrisons in some cities, I took Naples from the Byzantines in the Charlemagne scenario and their power dropped by forty percent! (and mine dropped by around twenty percent due to losses) my army was almost two hundred units including sixty pieces of artillery which I used first!

Such ridiculous numbers of troops are absurd and thus I can agree with a limit, the trick to Civ 5 is line up your forces across a whole front and advance the whole thing to surround and capture cities with artillery in the second line as back up, THAT’S how you conquer other countries, you get a “flanking” bonus when you have troops beside combatting units so use and abuse it!

Civ 5 is a good game, it’s just some changes you have to get used to.

April 3, 2011 at 2:09 am
(52) Captain Lightning says:

You are all dumb. Civ 5 sucks if you go the diplomacy route, the combat is fun and intuitive, and the tech tree is limited but awesome. The game is only laggy if you have a sub par computer, I use an Athlon 64 x2 and a nVidia 8600GT, both are budget hardware and cost me less than 100 dollars altogether. The complaints about steam are invalid, seeing as you can not only disable the ‘popups’ which are amazing game deals, but that steam enables you to play Civ 5 on multiple computers without multiple games. Aside from all of that, it is unnecessary that it requires Steam, but a necessary choice if you like to play great games.

The gameplay itself is mind numbingly difficult at times, but that is how war and civilization is, and if you don’t like it don’t play the damned game. The game isn’t “Click and Win” anymore, it is a hardcore civilization simulation game. For those of you thinking it is ‘unfair and dumb’, try tetris. I hear that game is pretty easy.

April 4, 2011 at 1:07 am
(53) Vlad the Gashbasher says:

lmao @ Tetris, are you serious? That would still rank right up there with Rocket Science for some of these idiots.

July 12, 2011 at 6:51 am
(54) JM says:

I’ll receive my 2nd Masters degree (Cume Laude) this December, and have a brand new computer and Civ V still crashes. I even wrote to Civ and asked them what I could do to stop the crashes.

They told me to just keep downloading updates and ‘hope.’ I kid you not, they said ‘HOPE.’ When I buy a product, I should not have to HOPE it works…

And FYI, I have played every Civilization since the first, and have beaten them all without cheating on Prince. Like you said, King and Emperor are beatable, but I find them boring.

My favorite Civ game is still hands down Alpha Centauri. I’d like them to remake and release that, even if they just updated the graphics I’d buy it.

May 14, 2011 at 5:18 pm
(55) Ryan Thompson says:

well about the great games bit i will agree with you on that but it, seems that most of these reviews i have seen is petty bikering about things that don’t usually happen i have not had any problem with steam or Civ 5, it is the people who don’t like to spend a lot, of time playing this type of game, that is why i love these types of games because they make you think and adopt new and different stratagies.

June 24, 2011 at 2:19 pm
(56) renfield says:

have been playing civ games for about 20 years now, they have really done a cool job with the graphics. they have done a really cool job of killing the magic of this game while hitting ones wallet. CIV V = Bowl Full Of Diks

April 4, 2011 at 11:25 am
(57) Alex says:

There is no depth to the game, options are limited, AI is stupid, limited options, its laggy, often takes 4-5 minutes of thinking between turns. Graphics are great, but lack of movie animations, especially after you achieve a victory is discouraging.

Overall i think Civ V is a quick and cheap copy of previous Civilization games

April 5, 2011 at 12:33 am
(58) Captain Lightning says:

I think your comment is a quick and cheap copy of every other statement already said. It’s a new game, and if you take it on with older hardware you are setting yourself up for issues.

I don’t mean to burst your bubble, but if you played Civ for anything other than the ability to unerringly kill everything you are not playing the right kind of game, and the depth is no more and no less than any of the other games. It’s hard to improve a tired genre, but they managed to update some concepts and polish and release a well rounded game.

May 31, 2011 at 1:37 pm
(59) Adam says:

4-5 minutes thinking between turns is a PC problem, upgrade or reformat buddy! 10 seconds between turns on my PC at max unless I’m at war and watching the others attack my units!

April 7, 2011 at 5:31 am
(60) Korlee says:

I honestly dislike the game as a whole and I feel they removed many fun options from the past games in this version. It is like they focused more on -Zomg it’s on steamsssss- and -ZOMG! SUPER GRAPHICS!- then what made Civilization what it was. Which was something anyone could get into on any type of so called -low end- pc.

The options to win have become even more tunneled then they were before.

The diplomacy always sucked at every difficulty level with the AI’s trading the dumbest technologies ‘n’ such with each other for more or less free. While you had to sign away your soul… but you could still at least bribe peeps for the UN crap etc… It took every last piece of gold even at the lowest of settings but you -could do it- being the key words here. Now? The smallest infraction turns the whole world against you easier, they want three times as much for techs, all the city states littered everywhere hate you at the drop of a hat, bribes can’t even net you the UN crap. founding one city in an odd spot means war, all peace negotiations beyond -hello- require a -Right of Passage- BS even more so… because we so let other nations troops on our soil for trade pacts right?! :D

Which this wouldn’t be so bad if they had avoided smacking other game types up against the face hard. I’ll be honest I’m an aggressive expansionist and enjoyed that style of play. Which at higher difficulty choices was quite hard to achieve victory with. Now? These types of modes that involved culture pushing, religious plotting, espionage to ready a city for plunder, ‘n’ such… They are gone or just stupid Street Fighter first time seeing M Bison friggin hard and that is with you at your best for it. If you thought the AI got lucky before… smack your head against the wall for the next few hours in this version for greater fun. As if 2 AI units ripping through a 5 equal unit city with walls, etc of yours wasn’t BS enough before. Well watch your super army of a billion promotions die to a city you bombed to hell ‘n’ back before even attacking. A smaller city on their border lacking all defensive type bonuses but a city wall.

They slowed the pace of the game, ruined most game modes, force you into diplomacy that is biased 100% against you as the only valid mode, took out the map editor that allowed so much community creativity, and force you to need an internet connection just to play. I got Civ5 for my birthday excited as all hell because my funds are low right now and I’ve felt nothing but friggin cheated all the way.

April 9, 2011 at 12:37 am
(61) CaitSith06 says:

It has pros and cons. I love the new combat system, and the hex grid is an interesting change. Now that there’s no unit stacking and you’re limited in the number of high-end units you can build, combat is more strategic, and the “stack of doom” is gone. The city expansion rules are more logical, but often don’t claim the most ideal tiles.

Cons? The constant crashing is incredibly annoying. And miss the world-builder, too.

You don’t have to be online to play. You do have to get online to enable offline mode, however.

April 9, 2011 at 12:27 pm
(62) Dan says:

Although the news civilizations are certainly not as good as civilization two, i have to say civilization 5 has much more potential then civilization 4. People who say the game crashes… thats because your computer can’t handle the game it never has crashed once for me. Civilization 5 is more strategy then 4, death stacks are out since they were just cheap, and now u can’t make a million cities anymore. You have to think whether you want to expand or not. Instead of just trying to create as many cities as you can in the littlest amount of time. Civ 5 still needs improvements like fixing the ai and bringing back religion but its definitely better then civ4 which i immediately got bored of.

April 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm
(63) Local says:

Lam-o! Severely disappointed… This will probably be the last of the Civs I buy unless they drop Steam. Fail!

April 17, 2011 at 11:57 am
(64) Aaron says:

It’s amazing how quickly a civilized (pun intended) conversation about a GAME turns into a trollfest and huge argument. Why do people get so offended by others’ opinions? Here it comes…wait for it…grow up!

April 20, 2011 at 7:33 pm
(65) david says:

idk about all the other civs so i cant really give the other ones bad comment but to me civ 5 is a good game idk i know alot of sequel games the 2nd 1 always sux more then the first but c-mon guys can you name a game in the past 2 years the doesnt last 3 hours til you beat it? to me civ 5 is on the top of my list along with

-imperium romanum
-grand ages of Rome
-ages of empires

August 6, 2011 at 11:18 pm
(66) Chuck says:

Age of Empires is simple, I hope you’re not serious that takes three hours to win, I can beat any of the campaigns in less than three hours!

August 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm
(67) Chuck says:

Age of Empires 2, I can beat any campaign in less than three hours, AOE 3 the campaigns might take a little longer, thought I should clarify that!

April 25, 2011 at 4:20 am
(68) Jeremy says:

I don’t really understand the comments about the lack of the world editor. You can download the Civ 5 SDK for free off of steam, which includes an integrated mod IDE client, packager and uploader), the World Builder (map and scenario maker), Nexus (art asset viewer and importer) and the Tuner (during game debugger and database tool). Yeah… and if you don’t like steam… you really don’t understand what it is. I have the game cd’s but I can still download the client whenever I want, I can save my games to the cloud and access wherever, and its possibly the best market for older and indy games.

August 6, 2011 at 11:25 pm
(69) Chuck says:

I’m not against World Builder, but people really did abuse it to cheat, they just shouldn’t have made it available in the middle of the game, oops just “accidentally gave myself fifty Modern Tanks in the Ancient Era, let’s go attack Babylon’s archer unit”, still a scenario editor is a welcome edition to any kind of game.

May 2, 2011 at 1:58 am
(70) Phil Atio says:

The pros:
-no more unit stacking makes realistic game play
Cons:
Unlike civ 2 and colonization, no importing food from crappy places to good. Honestly this concept makes no sense; if the world were really like this las vegas could never exist; new york, impossible, and the only cities that would exist are one near food, water, hills, not mountains
-mountains provide no production which is silly
-On higher level be prepared for constant war; any time you get big more civs just keep declaring war on you
-The lack of being able to move resources
-not easy to cheat, haven’t figure it out yet, no world builder
-It is very bad overall, the graphics are fine but the quality have declined of game with each successive after civ2 except colonization.
-The diplomacy and trading is a joke, the deals have no balance or sense to them. I’m pretty sure the ai trades things at give away prices and tries to jack up prices against you. It will almost never give you a fair trade. If you have 2 gold and it has 2 gems, it won’t trade you, it will want whale. If you have a resource it will give 37gold but will want 200 gold, open borders, and 10 gold a turn for its, and thats if your lucky and it trades.
-The maintenance is another joke. You have ridiculously high maintenance from everything from roads, to some buildings have maintenance up to 4 like a courthouse.
-production is very costly and difficult to get up there, some have speculated your better off just putting all your cities on wealth and buying everything. Almost no city can ever turn out 1 unit a turn like in the old days.
-Come what city take 8 years to train an army
-Game has no espionage, seems kind of silly that you cannot even spy on your enemy.

May 7, 2011 at 1:18 pm
(71) Sean says:

I’ve been playing Civ games since Civ 1. Civ 2 rocked and loved Civ 4 and Colonization too. I liked the graphics of Civ 5 though it does crash on me once in a while (and I have a hign-end system and am a certified tech). That’s about all i like about this game. I don’t like to no stacking of units (maybe they could allow a few stacks like 3-4, just no death stacking like in Civ 4). Combat is unfair as yes THE AI CHEATS! Diplomacy is poorly done, not enough options. No espionage which is ridiculous. It takes way too long to build anything. I miss the world builder though didn’t use it too much. It was just very handy to have. I don’t really like Steam but don’t have any major issues with it, I just don’t like that I HAVE to have it just to play the game.
Over all this game was a big letdown. I’m back to Civ 4 and will stay there unless they completely revamp Civ 5 or until Civ 6 comes out, if there ever is a Civ 6. I don’t recommend this game.

May 21, 2011 at 6:04 pm
(72) Noromical says:

Ok, for those of you who say the AI cheats, either get better, or lower the god damned difficulty, if units take too long, drop the time, there is a way to change your settings, it is called pre-game set up. And for those of you who hate it cuz u can’t cheat, well, what fun is having a single warrior who is strong enough to take down 50 giant death robots and not take damage? It ruins the point of the game. And it is not hard to stay at peace, all u gotta do is just stay neutral. To ignore UN votes, go to advanced setup and turn off diplomacy victories, a surefire way to be able to defend yourself, go Eco until sum1 declares war on you, then buy a crapload of units. The army difference I had went from near impossible to win, to near impossible to lose, plus I got an enemy city out of the peace treaty

May 31, 2011 at 1:59 pm
(73) Adam says:

Ah, I see we have other PLAYERS on here! I haven’t encountered the game cheating yet. I’ve beaten Settler, Chieftan, Warlord, and Prince with diplomatic, cultural, space race, and domination and just finished my first domination victory at King level last night. I’ve been battered by the AI and healed my unit the next turn just like they occasionally do.

August 6, 2011 at 11:08 pm
(74) Chuck says:

REALLY! You’ve never seen the AI demand a hundred gold just for a research agreement, regardless of your acutal standing among the major civ’s, the AI wants the sweeter end of the deal constantly, I rarely bother with diplomacy in Civ 5 because it’s so stupid! I ignore diplomacy and just skip to the part where I gut your armies and take a few cities within three turns, then push my advantage until you cease to exist, total conquest, I’ve played my best game as America and have conquered my fifth civ by turn 200 (and captured nine city-states), I never cared much for diplomacy or alliances, I don’t need them!

I can kick the crap out of the AI easily enough on Warlord, I managed to adapt my defensive strategy to Civ 5, but I still find the game annoying! The one unit per tile makes units get in eachthoer’s way, which is stupid and counter-productive. The game is not quite as bad as I first thought, I just had to adapt to some of the changes, but Civ 5 could have been so much better!

May 22, 2011 at 5:06 am
(75) i have a life says:

I bet none of you get laid on a regular basis ha ha ha ha.

Suck ya later nnnnneeeerrrrrdddddsssss!!!!!!!!!!

May 31, 2011 at 2:16 pm
(76) Adam says:

Speak for yourself lame, I have a hot wife and get it daily minus her week every month and previous to marriage there were dozens of others buddy.

So what ever you’re sucking later, keep it to yourself!

May 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm
(77) Sam says:

Agree with kevin and those who dislike Civ 5. it’s a Waste. I’m back to Civ 4. HATE having to install Steam to play a single player game, that I never intend to play online. No world builder.. Civ 4 offers more and better.. why waste your money for a lesser game that installs STEAM to slow down your computer?

June 8, 2011 at 5:10 pm
(78) Herpaderpa says:

If steam slows down your computer then you really need an upgrade. Steam works fine, if you want to talk about shit then go bitch to apple about Itunes bro.

Also don’t complain before you try. That goes for most of you here.

May 30, 2011 at 11:02 am
(79) Darkshadow1s says:

Well you can get mods that can help improve civilaztion 5 by adding more wonders and stuff civilaztion 5 is more fun with mods try it some time

May 30, 2011 at 11:34 pm
(80) peach says:

The game did not crash on me a single time even though i don’t use a high-end computer. so if it crashes on your computer all the time, that says something about YOUR computer, not the game. plus, i don’t see what is the big deal with steam – so yes you have to download steam before you download the game but there is no other inconvenience whatsoever.

and stop cheating – use your own merit to win a game for once.

June 8, 2011 at 5:06 pm
(81) Herpaderpa says:

I honestly don’t see why you guys bitch about steam…. I have had no problems with it ever and it gives great deals on game, 75% off games a couple months after coming out its great you don’t have to spend alot of money on any games, I haven’t bought a game over 50 dollars for my pc in months. I just wait for it to go on sale over steam.

Also most of you are fucktards. :P

June 24, 2011 at 7:16 pm
(82) Mr Carter says:

I like that the civs actually speak the languages and play music of that culture, but how a fully healed unit with 10 guys gets attacked by the same unit no bonus and looses 5 guys on normal or hard or very hard you die is just bullshit. thats not hard thats cheating hard should mean the computer is smarter not cheating. the glitching with reavealing to much of the map and getting shade everywhere building quickly leading to stopping all progress all together makes no sense … civ 4 is just better

July 22, 2011 at 12:07 pm
(83) WiseMax says:

I’ve read all of you so far.

Agree: Civ V could be better.

Strongly disagree: Steam is very good. On the negative side, it requires you to be online – not a problem today.
But I have no longer to worry about the number of installations done or lost (I crash or swap PC’s a whole lot, now going with 2 Macs, 2 PC desktops and 3 notebooks). I do not have to worry, I can play them all – as long as VERY REASONABLY I am playing on whichever one I fancy to and not on two or more simultaneously. I think that this is very good license management. For example, I leave home with one of my otebooks, and want to play on it. I have to do nothing but sign on, Steam will d/C me from the desktop and allow me to play on the one I now want, no **itty questions asked. It will even willingly accept to install any extra copy of a game as needed.

To me, this is uncomplicated, sensible license management.

Besides, I get rid of those pesky fragile media and no longer need those “No DVD” hacks (sometimes porting viruses or trojans in them).

A few more crashes, though, this STEAM got to look at a bit better.

I used to purchase D2D and other stuff, but the limitations on the number of installations are a tremendous liability. I hate that.

Again, Civ V is a bit disappointing, yes. Pity.

July 22, 2011 at 12:19 pm
(84) WiseMax says:

Forgot to say why I like this game somewhat less: I share the same negative impressions of the game that a bit above you can read from Phil Atio. No need to repeat or elaborate.

July 26, 2011 at 5:15 pm
(85) akama says:

You are all idiots and steam is the best! Trojan you say? LEARN 2 PC U RETARD.

July 26, 2011 at 6:35 pm
(86) . says:

I bought this game for 17 dollars off steam

July 29, 2011 at 1:37 pm
(87) jack johnson says:

I started the civilization series with Civ4, then CivRev (xbox360), and now Civ5. I will say that I miss things like Religion and Spy’s, but this game is still pretty good in it’s own right. It requires a good amount of strategy, from how to handle other civs, where to place new cities, and how to manage happiness, amoung other things. With the new patches that have come out recently the game seems even more balanced now. My games no longer crash and my computer isnt even a top-notch gaming comp.

As far as people complaining about steam, just set it to offline mode. You dont NEED to be connected to the internet to play. You only NEED to be connected in order to initially setup the game.

August 3, 2011 at 9:02 pm
(88) Mr.Good says:

I’ve only ever played Civ V Civ IV and Revolution but out of those 3 the fifth is definitely the best. The hexagonal tile sysyem is way better and unit stacking made combat way too easy. Secondly the AI does not cheat it is given advantages such as better land, more great people etc. when you play on a harder difficulty. So if your complaining about the AI cheating play on a lower difficulty.

August 6, 2011 at 8:03 am
(89) Goose says:

I played Civ 1 & 2. loved them. Been doing other things the last few years (mostly WOW) and was really excited about my brand new Civ experience now that i am back in the real world… Truth is I love the game but STEAM is the biggest piece of shit ever and prevents me from playing the game. It is based on the premise that everyone is on high speed broadband in a major city… I am not, I am mobile and the dog keeps stuffing with my gameplay. If STEAM is the future of gaming I am no longer a gamer…

December 12, 2011 at 12:14 pm
(90) kemosabeyo says:

The ONLY good thing about Civ V is the Hex board as opposed to the squares. The rest sucks for all reasons listed in this thread. I hope someone at Fireaxis tells Sid. He probably is the only one who cares.

December 22, 2011 at 4:04 pm
(91) Bill says:

I have a laptop with an 2.4 ghz I3 4 gigs of ram and integrated graphics and it has never crashed

December 26, 2011 at 12:25 am
(92) Sel says:

I’m not sure why everyone is complaining, Honestly i enjoy steam and if you have a problem with it, your fault, i tier of losing CDs or getting them scratched because of other people, this way i don’t have to worry about it.

Sure there is no more stacking ore religion or anything else, the AI is pretty intensive if you ask me and i can make the AIs do as i want, most of the time, just have to have a brain to know how.

As for the graphics, try using a better PC you dip#^&@ because mine are stunning, tho i still wish they would indeed bring back Espinoza and religion tho i thought both where more hassle then they where worth.

All in all the game isn’t THAT bad but could use some work, just wish the game makers would actually build up on the game instead of just completely disregard the things that where good in the last game, tho i still want a better AI and more diplomacy.

January 3, 2012 at 9:12 pm
(93) Allan says:

I completely agree.
1. No stacking units=attacking a pain in the ass
2. The tech units are fails and there so little of them
3. WTF IS WRONG WITH DIPLOMACY???
4. You can’t do **** with your civilians
5. No spies, no fun :(
6. The trading and bartering with AIs are messed up
7. production and army cost a lot and take an INSANE amount of time
don’t buy this game

January 3, 2012 at 10:04 pm
(94) Hammer says:

It is now 7:05 PM i launch Sid Meier’s Civ V at 6:40 Steam is giving me a message “Preparing to launch Sid Meier’s Civilization V” I tried support it is under construction. Steam smells a lot like a fresh pile of ****!

January 16, 2012 at 8:03 am
(95) PopSnniper says:

I like Steam except for one major fault…I have two networked computers in my home and I used to be able to play networked games against my grandson with only one copy of the game. Now, with Steam, I need two copies! There is no way to run any single copy of a Steam game on two computers simultaneously.
As for Civ. 5, I love it. I have played every civ game since the original DOS version and I have been totally addicted to it. I have no problems running the game on my computers and have won several Cultural victories and one science victory on Prince level. I play to enjoy myself so I stay away from higher levels where the computer cheats. I have also tried the hotseat game and it works just fine, but I get tired of changing seats so often. I actually like the new limit of one unit per hex as it is much more realistic than the old way of stacking a million units on one square. This game has taken a LOT of the play mechanics from miniatures and board games, which have very similar rules. I also like the change that added policies to replace religion and diplomacy. This version of civilization requires much more thought than previous games…maybe that’s why so many of you don’t like it…you just want to go out and destroy!! Well, go back to playing one of the older civ games, and leave us PhD’s to have fun with this one.

January 26, 2012 at 12:02 am
(96) TheGreenBongler says:

Not nearly as complex as previous civs, but its perfect for multiplayer, quicker turns and faster games. nuff said

February 29, 2012 at 11:35 am
(97) saeed says:

Wow, good to C too many lads thinkin’ the same as I do. the new game is a complete fiasco. I have longed for playing the new version ‘n hopefully lookin’ for sth much improved, but wait a sce, this game sucks, definitely.
Besides all u guys said, I must say the emergence of new specialists is really weird. In previous versions, u weren’t supposed to waste a spot near your city, just to gain nothin’ out of it. And yet, I must say the role of great general is nothin’ like the role of havin’ a great artist. No need to mention, why are the prophets and spies disappeared?!

Moreover, you should pay too much money for having a simple road or railroad build up and that makes the game a complete waste.
I am really thinkin’ why they’ve changed everythin’, and instead of improvi’ the game, they’ve made it as a kinda alien to its fans

March 1, 2012 at 9:22 am
(98) SNap says:

The reason as to why the game is so GAY, as some of you say, is because it was made easier for the new people that has never played the game.
The game itself is fully automated in CIV V that is why certain things have been removed and inserted.

I say go back to it being fully customizable.
CIV II & III is still the best.

March 20, 2012 at 6:30 am
(99) DigestiveSpring says:

Wow really? Steam is fine, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, if your game crashes, go exchange it? Mine has never crashed, doesn’t lag and I’m on a laptop :S I will agree Civ IV WAS better but this game is still worth playing, I think most of you need to just grow up and if you don’t like the game just go take it back…

April 1, 2012 at 7:27 am
(100) zane says:

I first came across the civilization games when I found this one in the store. Well I discovered quit a few problems simple compared to what I expected it to be though it does not crash however it does have a whole list of problems whitch are as follows: one it does not allow for you to have patroism open at the same time as rationalism implying that they think religion is stuipid. Second diplomacy is all but impossible with you never being able to really bargain. However I do like the game so I hope that they will put more effort into their next Civilization game but for now I am content with what I have

April 1, 2012 at 4:03 pm
(101) justin says:

in game. go to MODS then brows mods, online. in top left search box type have fun. then download the mod and go to installed and click bottom right install button. now when u start a game with mods u have a small tab that says have fun. now u have all the cheats u could ever want or need for the game!

April 7, 2012 at 12:00 pm
(102) josh says:

civ 5 is releasing an expansion pack called kings and gods June 19 2012 it will add back religion, spies, and other options to diplomacy.

April 10, 2012 at 3:12 am
(103) Jack says:

Just a waste of time…too many problems and slow as hell…would like to see more time put into the next game to make it run smooth and efficently. As well as can be expected from these guys…this is a dud and Gods and Kings better be free of all the glitches in Civ5, if not I can see some market loss here as well as a need for a new company to come up with some competition that is better done. Oh well, was not worth the money or time I put into it. Too Bad!!

April 10, 2012 at 11:48 am
(104) Want some cheese with that whine? says:

Civilization V just made it harder to win by Domination guys. You no longer have the ability to simply spam units and doze your enemies aside. Admittedly the AI holds most of the cards in diplomacy, but no game is perfect. I do not see a problem with Steam yet though your personal experience may be different. All I see are complainers that want Civ V to be a carbon copy of Civ IV. But if they did that, said complainers would moan about how it didn’t change and that the Civ team is just siphoning money off of game players. The point of the matter is that the Civ team improved off of Civ IV. They tried out some new concepts that might not very popular with some people. Along with new improvements such comes new problems. Every game has its pros and cons so just chill out with the hating. LoA

May 26, 2012 at 12:34 pm
(105) Klaytona500 says:

Civ 5 has a bigger tech tree than Civ 4. Are you retarded.